This bottle is now half full. Tested in multiple conditions. So here is another round of thorough review with time laps photos. I used macro / close up to share how the foundation sits on my skin.
Coverage & finish
- Very high to full coverage. Cannot see my skin after 3 dot.
- Buildable, but need to be skilled. Unlikely to require buildup beyond 4 dot.
- Cakey by 5th dot.
- Can cover tattoos, but colour correction is recommended to soften ashy finish.
- Photograph beautifully. It is so rare for full coverage formula to photograph well under macro (mega closeup).
- Skin looks instantly smooth.
- Almost like a soft lens filter finish once dried down. Flawless porcelain?
Zero alteration on both photos, only watermarked.
- Best for oily skin
- Great with combination skin or normal skin.
- It is difficult on dry skin. Workable if the person scrubbed well and moisturise thoroughly before hand. The foundation does cling to dry patch, but it doesn’t look bad. It’s the classic visible foundation on the dry bits (the foundation look slightly darker on the dry patch). See my photo for reference. I skipped scrub for a week to have enough dry bits to show.
- Mature skin / deep wrinkles, I do not recommend. Too much preparation work. As usual, I consider foundation doesn’t work if it requires primer to make it happen.
More information on my skin type, click here.
No fragrance. Nothing repulsive or nice.
Frosted glass bottle, extra thick base. Silver metallic lid and black plastic external lid. I personally don’t know what’s the function of the external lid.
Hell! (best word that I can find to replace f$%^) Worst than Estee Lauder doublewear & NARS stick all dirt packaging. That says a lot. Do I make myself clear? From the outer box to the actual foundation bottle. Shittiest luxury my back side bad packaging.
Can you see how hellish this mess of a bottle is? It has no dropper, no pump, total waste if pour out, and this sorry bottle clearly doesn’t close very well. Shittiest design EVER! Like ever! Winner of all time BAD packaging design. (1000+ words of rant)
Country of origin
Made in Italy
High density synthetic is the only way to blend this crazy high pigment foundation.
- Marc Jacobs face 3 brush
- Esprique foundation brush
- Shiseido foundation brush 131
- MAC 170 synthetic rounded slant brush
Real Technique expert face brush is totally mess up on you. Don’t bother. Not dense / firm enough.
I do not recommend this for people with a less confident hand; it is difficult to blend to perfection because of high pigment density. The formula itself is very smooth, it is not a formula flaw. I am referring to the ease of use here.
Make sure the match is PERFECT! This FULL HOUSE coverage will show up REAL funny if your shade is wrong. Walk out in the sun, try some on your chest. Test it out for at least 2 hours before you decide on a colour. Do not take any Sephora advise.
It does oxidise!!!
There are 22 shades to choose from.
The shades going by number are closely matched to Marc Jacobs Genius Gel. Quite rare, most brands’ shades are all over the show.
My shade that I bought is 32 beige light. Kind of wrong shade? Slightly more yellow will be more perfect. I can fix it with bronzer on the edge of my face or with some dim light sort of beige finishing powder.
As usual, all results are based on ZERO primer and ZERO powder. Setting with powder is so not necessary with this one (my opinion). I am in my 30s and on the dehydrated side of things.
I have also tried it in 10 degrees Celcius in Parisian winter. Again, totally solid. Minus point, on spots where I missed on hydration serum, expression lines were accentuated. The foundation photographs very well. I highly recommend this for events.
Cannot feel a thing. I am not aware that I’m wearing anything with this foundation. No particular sensation since it is so extremely light weight. **I am not referring to visibility. This is a FULL coverage foundation.
- Sephora France €44.50
- Marc Jacobs Beauty USA $55.00
- Sephora CA $69
- Harrods UK £37.00 ===> UK is the cheapest!!! Thanks, Brexit 😛
- Sephora AUS $79
Not affiliated links.
Bis-hydroxytethoxypropyl Dimethicone, Ethyl Trisiloxane, Caprylyl Methicone, Isododecane, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Dimethicone, Jojoba Esters, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Mica, Silica, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Helianthus Annuus Seed Cera/Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Wax, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Alcohol, Water, Acacia Decurrens Flower Cera/Acacia Decurrens Flower Wax, Polyglycerin-3, Tocopherol, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 774912, 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).
- The first 3 ingredients are all the good stuff that will make your skin look more smooth. No health concerns. At this price point, sure, I expect this type of thing.
- Polymethylsilsesquioxane – this stuff repels water *LOL* Perhaps that the magic that makes this foundation last so long.
- Dimethicone – this silicon leaves the skin feeling silky and look more smooth. At the same time, it covers the skin. Some sites call it out as a myth. Others swears that it is bad for the skin. I am not a dermatologist, so I’ve flagged in anyway in case you’re into a silicon free product regime. I am not sure whether it is dimethicone or the combination with my skincare products that causes my issue. For me, after continuous 30 days daily use, this foundation does increase clogged pores even though I use an arsenal amount of cleansing product. 3 silicons are high on the list. I don’t use this foundation daily any more and it is not longer an issue.
- Alcohol – dehydrates skin. I can’t smell this at all though. I was surprised, because I didn’t know that it has alcohol until I read the list.
Like I said in previous post, for a high price point product, I don’t elaborate much on their good ingredients if any. At that price point, it better be full of goods stuff.
Probably **If their packaging improves, absolutely yes. I’m really hating the packaging at the moment.
Oxidation – significant colour change. I would classify this as a greyscale 3
Value for money 5/5
That’s it for the review. Thank you for reading. What do you think of this foundation? Buy or anti-haul for you?
Camera: Canon 5D mark 3, Sony Z3+
Bloglovin’ / Google+ / Twitter / Instagram / Facebook / Pinterest
Pingback: Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum gel foundation review – Local Girl Foreign Land
Hey guys, I also tested this Marc Jacod foundation on my youtube channel. I posted videos about makeup look and product reviews twice a week 🙂
Hey fellow blogger. Thanks for popping by. I appreciate your hustle, but the link that you’ve attached isn’t your Marc Jacobs foundation review. Please insert the correct link? Thanks xox
Pingback: Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum gel foundation review – Local Girl Foreign Land
I’ve heard about this foundation on YouTube! But I didn’t know the packaging was so bad! I repel foundations that don’t have a pump. And for whatever reason, they seem to like to do it on full-coverage foundations (like Estee Lauder Double Wear except you can go buy a pump). If there is no pump, you will not see me buy it. 😂
Thank you for dropping by ❤️ I think the mainly problem is the lid causes ‘leaks’. The stick isn’t the worst. Not sure if pump will work, this stuff has so much pigment that just a touch of it covers 1/2 the face. Pump may waste a lot? 😔 I do love the formula.
That’s a true point! In that case, maybe they figured this is the best way for its intended use. 😝
I’ve not tried this but I tried the MJ Genius Gel foundation – I got a sample of this ages ago from Sephora. It was at the time they had just released their colour matching iQ technology and shade matched me to some ridiculously dark and yellow shade. I did end up liking the foundation and always vowed to get it one of these days. But I still balk at paying nearly $70 for a foundation!
I only had the sample so I had no idea the actual packaging was so crappy! All form and no function! 😮
Did you try applying this with a sponge at all? I like using a bulbous sponge to diffuse full coverage foundations.
LOL that photo of you with your mouth open! What are you trying to emulate? 😆
Yes, I remember you said on IG. It does oxidise a lot. So chances are the Sephora iQ was right only pre-oxidation? Need to wait it out to check for colour change. Price isn’t bad because I don’t need concealer when I use it. If only the packaging isnt so bad, it is my HG. I have foundation everywhere around the stupid lid. Impossible to clean because of high pigment. 😥
MJ genius gel is almost the same price, no? How well does that perform for you? I have a friend who swears by it, but she has zero freckles to hide 😅
I tried with sponge, but the finish isn’t as airbrushed as using a brush and needed more product.
The odd pose choice was to show the lippie wearing off on the inner lip 😂 was preparing for a lippie review post, but then I realised that it was a good macro to show zero foundation budge after ramen. 😂
It looks like a really nice foundation. Too bad about the crap packaging!
Exactly! That packaging really enrages me. So messy. Thank you for dropping by, Jodi 😘